Princeton dating 50
The theft ignited the Rutgers-Princeton Cannon War.
A compromise between the presidents of Princeton and Rutgers ended the war and forced the return of the Little Cannon to Princeton.
In 1836 the cannon was returned to Princeton and placed at the eastern end of town.
It was removed to the campus under cover of night by Princeton students in 1838 and buried in its current location in 1840.
The administration had barely finished these plans in April 1969 when the admissions office began mailing out its acceptance letters.
The institution moved to Newark in 1747, then to the current site nine years later, where it was renamed Princeton University in 1896. Princeton has also graduated many prominent members of the U. In 1754, trustees of the College of New Jersey suggested that, in recognition of Governor's interest, Princeton should be named as Belcher College. Jonathan Belcher replied: "What a name that would be!As a result of a 1979 lawsuit by Sally Frank, Princeton's eating clubs were required to go coeducational in 1991, after Tiger Inn's appeal to the U. The first building on campus was Nassau Hall, completed in 1756 and situated on the northern edge of campus facing Nassau Street.The Mc Cosh presidency (1868–88) saw the construction of a number of buildings in the High Victorian Gothic and Romanesque Revival styles; many of them are now gone, leaving the remaining few to appear out of place.A handful of undergraduate women had studied at Princeton from 1963 on, spending their junior year there to study "critical languages" in which Princeton's offerings surpassed those of their home institutions.They were considered regular students for their year on campus, but were not candidates for a Princeton degree. The campuses are situated about one hour from both New York City and Philadelphia.